An unopened bag of biltong can last up to 10 months stored in a cool, dry place.
Biltong is dried and cured, so it isn't required to be refrigerated once opened, but chances are it can spoil or mold over if it's stored in a warm, humid environment.
Because it's a wild world out there, and we don't use artificial preservatives, the easiest way to keep your biltong the freshest the longest is to store it in the refrigerator. (Especially the big bags!)
Open biltong can last for up to a month as we have experienced in some cases, but use your own judgement as you would with any other fresh, preservative free food. (ie. eggs, an open protein bar, etc.)
We've got some helpful tips to keep your biltong fresh and tasty!
- Always be sure to close your bag back all the way. To keep your biltong extra fresh, you can even transport your biltong from its original bag into some Tupperware or ziplock.
- You can keep the biltong in the original bag but make sure to shake it or shuffle it around every time you grab more biltong, don't let it settle.
- Remember, Biltong is a fresh meat - it will keep transforming over time as it's environment changes. Just keep an eye on it.
- Because biltong is cured, you can take portions out of the fridge and use it for school lunches, hiking trips, road trips, etc. As long as it's not sitting in the sun or a laundromat for 16 hours, it should be ok!
- Our favorite suggestion: just eat it! Grabbing some biltong every few days should be enough to keep it fresh.
If you ever open a bag and it's spoiled, please do not eat the biltong.
If you feel it's spoiled prematurely, please reach out to us. We don't want you missing out on your biltong and will work with you to make tasty happen!
Please let us know if you have any questions.